The Partner / Palestine
Palestinian Agricultural Relief Committees (PARC)Type of Organization: Non-Governmental Organisation
PARC is a leading non-profit organization working in the field of rural development, environment protection, gender mainstreaming and enhancement of rural womenís roles and status. PARC was established in 1983 as a specialized voluntary grass-root organization within the voluntary movement in the Palestinian society. PARC offers extension work, raise awareness and provides supporting activities and services for individuals, groups and organizations working in the same field. PARC relies on active and broad grassroots participation of beneficiaries parallel to the promotion of the expertise and skills of the staff.
PARC aims at contributing to achieving integrated and sustainable development of the Palestinian rural areas, with the aim of improving their livelihood as well as establishing a greater level of gender balance and awareness.
PARC decided its strategic areas to reach sustainable development and classified them into three components:
- Environment and agriculture,
- Human Resources, and
- Institutional building
Under the first component falls the goals that target expanding the areas of cultivated land, environmental protection, water resources and integrated development that support agricultural activities.
Under the second component falls the goals of women empowerment, realizing of the employees aspirations and supporting individuals and groups and building their capacity.
Under the third component of sustainable institutional development falls the following goals: assisting institutions and organizations, development of financial vitality and regional cooperation.
National Coordinator:Dr. Abdellatif Mohammed holds a PhD on hydrogeology from the Comenus University of Bratislava, (Czechoslovakia) and a M. Sc. on Geology and hydrogeology from the University of Khartoum. Dr. Abdellatif Mohammed has worked extensively as Engineer Hydrogeologist at SONATRACH in Algeria until 1995 where he joined PARC as Director of Public Relations. He became Director of the Irrigation and Environment Department in 1997 and actually he is the Director of the Projects Department. In this later functions he responsible for:
- leading the team of planning at the department which was responsible for the preparation of PARCís annual plan,
- supervise the work of a number of projects coordinators,
- monitoring and supervising of reporting quality at the various departments of PARC,
- lead and direct the need assessments carried out at PARC for the various groups and gatherings and communities representing the target groups of PARC,
- provide training for various groups (professionals, newly graduated agronomists) in the fields of water resources management, irrigation and solid waste management.